Wednesday, October 15, 2008

FURTHER NEWS ON TONIGHT'S DEBATE ...

Sensing that this could be the final chance for his campaign to make a dent and rattle Obama's cage, John McCain has gone against the advice of his advisers, who wanted him to bring up Sen. Obama's ties to the rather outspoken and opinionated Rev. Jeremiah Wright. McCain's camp revealed that the senator thought that it would be insensitive and would be viewed as racially charged.

Kudos to McCain for making and trying to keep some sense of civility, Lord knows we need it, but I don't see the problem in bringing this up in the debate. Sen. Obama has taken the time to bring up the S&L scandal and Keating, so why not? Rev. Wright is, in every sense of the word, a very prejudiced man. He believes in what is right for him and the black society of the United States. Fine, I get that. I too can be very opinionated, but the connection between Rev. Wright and Obama doesn't have to be about race.

Rev. Wright is largely known for his beliefs and ideals of 'Black Liberation Theology' and he shares them, albeit very vehemently at times, from his pulpit. I believe it's okay to have your views and share them with others, but if you don't share the same views with someone, especially your preacher, you change churches. You don't get married by him. You don't have your children baptized by him. If you believe in your preacher enough to come to the same church for twenty years, then there must be a bond of shared beliefs somewhere.

This is what America wants to know about. This is what we want to know about. Why is this wrong? Does it make me racist to want to know why a man may or may not belive in 'Black Liberation Theology'? Enlighten me, and the world. Help us understand, and share why you believe what you believe. Don't just avoid the situation, it makes it seem even more interesting when you don't talk about it.

I'll say that I am not a racist. Never have been. I believe that you should treat all people like people, regardless of race, creed or gender (it's something that my parents taught me). But if I were running for the presidential office, and I was a member of a lesser known church, and I had a pastor that made comments like "God Damn America...", I would almost expect to have this issue surface and face it at some point, wouldn't I. I wouldn't think that in the least bit a stab at me.

Let the race issue go, this isn't about race, it's still about judgement and character. A wise man once told me that to truly see who a man really is then take a look at his friends.

Jordan Fleck


No comments:

CONTACT US:

The_Free_American@yahoo.com